Christmas in Bangkok is a fun, exciting time, with many opportunities to get yourself into the festive spirit. We love all things Christmas and wanted to share with you the best things to do in Bangkok at Christmas time.
Shopping Malls at Christmas
It may sound like an obvious one but, with an ever expanded list of giant shopping malls in the city, the Christmas decorations are getting better and better each year. Every large mall will decorate to the extreme, with huge Christmas trees being erected along with open bars, Christmas markets, giant Santa’s and more.
Plus, most malls are along the Sukhumvit line, meaning you can jump on a BTS to get from stop to stop. IconSIAM, along the river, offers impressive Christmas displays whilst Siam Paragon, Central World, Discover and MBK all decorate their plazas for the season.
As a Brit, I will never say no to a good Afternoon Tea. Lucky for us, many hotels offer a festive Afternoon Tea Selection:
- Peninsula Afternoon Tea: Expect a beautifully decorated and elegant lounge complete with jazz music. The afternoon runs through December between 2 pm and 6 pm, with a set for two people costing 1600 ++. A portion of the proceeds is donated to Operation Smile Foundation (Thailand), which is a charity that offers reconstructive facial surgery to indigent children and young people.
Make sure you reserve your afternoon tea experience in advance to avoid disappointment
(+66 (2) 020 2888 or email firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Bangkok Marriott Marquis Queen’s Park: This popular hotel offers a Signature Afternoon Tea with a twist. Head to their Lobby Lounge to enjoy a selection of Christmas inspired sweet and savoury treats whilst listening to a pianist. The Festive Afternoon Tea runs from throughout December from 12 – 6 pm and costs 999++ for two people.
- St. Regis Bangkok: From 2 pm – 5 pm each day, St. Regis offers a popular festive afternoon tea, complete with festive cocktails. For B1800++, couples can enjoy this luxury set of creative season treats including mince pies, gingerbread Crème Brulee, yule logs, panettone, Christmas budding and scones.
- SO Sofitel: This hotel offers a full festive program. Visit on the 13th December for a Cheese@SO experience; unlimited cheese at the MIXO Bar. For those interested in cooking, try the Christmas Cooking Class at 900++ per person at the Chocolab or enjoy the Fashion HI-TEA with a festive twist for 850++.
This area on the Chao Phraya is always a popular place to visit but at Christmas, the market area becomes even brighter. Decorations adorn the shops and lights sparkle around the whole pier. This is a great place to visit with children or for a romantic evening.
Head to Dream World amusement park to experience Snow Town. Wrap up warm to explore this ice kingdom of frozen sculptures, ski slopes and ice-cold designs.
Christmas Warehouse Bangkok
For those looking to decorate their home in Bangkok, head to the Christmas Warehouse. Here, you can find a massive showroom of all things Christmas. Alternatively, you can check our Ikea in December to pick up some decorations but expect to pay more.
Christmas Dinner – High-end options
For those looking for a special meal on Christmas Day itself, many of the western bars and hotels offer a traditional meal:
- Kempinski hotel offers a Christmas Buffet lunch or a five-course set menu, depending on what you are looking for.
- Anantara Siam Bangkok hotel offers a Christmas Ever buffet from 4900++ per person or a Festive set menu for 2580++. For those looking for a Christmas Day brunch, reserve a sport for their 11.30 am to 3.30 pm buffet extravaganza. Alternatively, check out their Christmas day afternoon Tea buffet.
- SO Sofitel offer a selection of different options for Christmas eve, Christmas day, New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day. They even have a pool party on the 28th December for those who want a Christmas with a difference.
- Okura Bangkok have a traditional Christmas Day set menu for Lunch and Dinner. With a visit from Santa Claus too, this experience is perfect for families.
- Novotel offers a great Christmas Brunch for just B999 per person and B450 for children aged 6 – 12. This also includes coffee, tea and soft drinks, making it a great deal.
- The Siam Hotel offers a 5-course Christmas Eve Dinner for B2900++ as well as Christmas Day Brunch for B2500++. The brunch menu also includes Thai cuisine and a live cooking market for something a bit different.
- Pullman Bangkok Grande Hotel on Sukhumvit, also offer a Christmas Eve and Christmas Day Buffet in their popular Atelier restaurant.
- Le Meridien also offers Christmas Eve/Day meals but have included a special Festive Sunday Brunch. Ideal for those with a sweet tooth, this buffet brunch starts at B1360 with free-flow soft drinks and B2400 with free-flow wine and beer.
Cheaper Christmas meals in Bangkok
Around Christmas time, there are a host of British or western pubs that offer a cheaper alternative to the big hotel chains.
A few of our favourites include:
- Robin Hood offers a full Christmas dinner for around B1000, contact email@example.com for reservations.
- Kai Bangkok is a New Zealand pub with a 3 course Christmas menu running from the 25th to the 26th, costing 1350B.
- Head to Bei Otto on Christmas Eve for a traditional German Christmas meal. Save 10% if you book early.
- Ekamai Beer House offers a 3 course Christmas dinner and party for B1100.
- Bourbon St. Bar offers a Christmas Buffet Spectacular on Christmas Eve evening and throughout Christmas Day. (11.20am to 10pm). The all-you-can-eat buffet costs just B899 and the menu offers classic Christmas treats along with some more American inspired dishes. It is also worth noting that Bourbon offers a takeout menu for those wanting delicious food in their own home.
- The Royal Oak is a favourite English pub of ours, with a full Christmas menu for the season. 3-course meals cost B950 whilst the main course is B695. Drinks are affordable, there are some great happy hours here and you can expect all the trimming for your meal.
For those with children, you are likely going to want to see Santa. Luckily, most shopping malls run a Santa Grotto experience (check individual websites for dates) whilst there are also a lot of children orientated Christmas events throughout the city.
Every year, CentralWorld open up a public skating rink for the month of December. This is one of the few rinks available in Bangkok but is a festive option with a giant Christmas tree nearby and an open-air beer garden too.
Santa Tuk Tuk Tours
If you fancy something different for Christmas, why not try a Santa Tuk Tuk Tour. Expique run these tours on the 24th and 25th of December each year, with options to go on the canal or tour the Bangkok night lights.
Festive Wonderland at Kempinski
For something a bit different, head to the Santa Claus Village at Kempinski Hotel. On the 1st of December, they have a Christmas tree lighting ceremony, complete with excerpts from the Nutcracker Ballet and carol singers. Each weekend of December, they offer performances of the Nutcracker Ballet and you can also make a wish to Santa from the 1st to the 29th of December.
Hanuman Bar also offers a Festive Afternoon Tea set for two for 850++ whilst a Festive Afternoon Tea buffet is also available from 990++ per person.
View this post on Instagram
⛴Chaophraya Cruise⛴ Program: Amazing Dinner Cruise Check in time :18:30hrs at River City Pier#1 Cruising time : 19:00hrs – 21:00hrs Price Adult 1,700.- THB/person Price Children 1,100.-THB/person 🔥🔥Special price please contact us🙏🙏 What’s Included ✅Thai and International Buffet dinner. ✅Live Music with Professional Singers. ✅Desserts, Fruits and Snacks. ✅Refreshments with hot coffee or tea. 🙏💯Book Now with us Now💕💯 Phuket Five Stars #chaophrayacruise #bangkokdinner #bangkokdinnercruise #cruise #chaophrayadinnercruise #dinnercruise #bangkokcruise #babgkoktour #bangkoktrip #thegrand #thegrandchaophrayacruise #chaophrayariver
Christmas Eve Dinner Cruise
Every year, there are more and more cruises available along Chao Phraya River. Enjoy a candlelit meal along the river with sparking lights and sparkling wine. This is a romantic experience for those looking to splurge; packages cost around 3500 baht.
Christmas markets and fairs in Bangkok
There are lots of different markets and fairs that run throughout November and December. There are some that are more family orientated and others that focus on shopping and Christmas decorations plus food.
- Creator Fair Xmas edition – The Creator Fair runs throughout the year but in December, a massive Xmas edition runs at the Jasmine Group Hotel. For 2019, the event runs on the 12th of December.
- Christmas Market, Blue Parrot – Expect crepes and cotton candy, this market is a great place to buy some gifts and get into the festive spirit. In 2019, the market is on the 15th of December.
- German Christmas Market – Running slightly earlier in December (ideal for expats flying home for Xmas), the market offers over 40 stalls of international foods, a small flea market, Christmas carols, Jazz Band, a school choir and decoration stands.
Christmas in Bangkok with Kids
Bangkok is a great place for families and there are lots of attractions to enjoy during the festivities.
- K Village offers a Christmas event each year, with Santa making a guest appearance and lots of fun activities for children of all ages.
- Danish Christmas Bazaar in Bangkok is a popular place for families with Christmas activities, a Santa parade, traditional Danish food and a raffle. This event usually runs at the end of November (24th in 2019)
- Art in Paradise is a fun place to enjoy with children – it isn’t too festive but is a great laugh for all ages.
- Sea Life is a fun place to spend with family; again not Christmas related but children love it.
- Hope Fair is a free, charity event which brings together local artists, designers and entrepreneurs to sell Christmas themed goodies in the market, with money going towards charity. Expect decorations, family activities and more.
And that is Christmas in Bangkok – how will you be spending the season in the city? Let us know in the comments below.